Loading

5 Benefits of a Propane Backup Generator

5 Benefits of a Propane Backup Generator

Whether you live in a rural area prone to power outages or you’re worried about keeping your family safe in severe weather, you may want to consider a propane generator. A backup generator can help give you and your family peace of mind by supplying electricity to your home during a power outage. Continue reading to learn the benefits of owning a backup generator. For more information, call today to learn how our propane dealers can supply the fuel you need year-round.

1.) Little to No Interruptions to Power

One of the drawbacks of technology is how much we depend on it. For example, when was the last time you went somewhere without your smartphone? When was the last time you turned on the air conditioning, cooked on an electric stove, or paid a bill online?

A few days without electricity is not only an inconvenience, but can make certain tasks impossible. Fortunately, a propane generator will kick on during a power outage so you can continue using electricity.

2.) Reliable - Even in Cold Weather

As a propane supplier, we do our best to anticipate the needs of our customers. With winter drawing closer, we anticipate more customers being concerned with severe weather. A backup generator kicks on a few seconds after it detects an interruption to your electricity. This ensures that you continue having power even in the worse blizzard or thunderstorm.

Unlike other fuels (namely gasoline and diesel), you don’t have to worry about your fuel getting too thick to use in cold weather. This means that your propane generator will start up a lot easier in cold weather so you and your family won’t be without heat.

3.) Safe Storage

Propane gas doesn’t degrade over time, which is important if you only plan on using it for emergencies. Since it could be several months until the next emergency, you don’t want your propane degrading in the meantime.

While propane is safe to store, we still recommend having your propane tank inspected by a member of our team. That way, you can have peace of mind knowing that your propane backup generator is safe and available to use in an emergency.

4.) Stable Price

Did you know 90% of propane gas sold in the United States is produced domestically? The remaining 10% is still produced in North America. Since our propane is mostly produced in the United States, there’s less concern for fuel shortages. The price of propane also tends to remain steady because we’re not as dependent on other countries. This is because local supply and demand is much more consistent and predictable than what we see on the global market.

5.) Accessible Fuel

We have propane dealers throughout the state of Michigan, which means you can count on being able to get the refills you need to make it through a power outage. We make it easy to order a propane refill online. If you’re without power, you can also schedule a propane delivery by calling any of our five locations.


Our Michigan propane dealers help homeowners build energy security by supplying fuel to home generators.To request a propane refill, call Altogas in Alto, Benton Harbor, Charlotte, Edmore, and Zeeland.

Michigan’s Largest Locally
Owned Propane Company

Propane Gas Company